1. This text is mainly about a ___B____. A) father's interests B) father's love towards his children
C) father's life-style D) father's achievements in life
2. The author was surprised when having dinner at his friend's house because __ D__. A) nobody spoke at the dinner table B) nobody asked him whether he had washed his hands
C) nobody washed their hands before dinner D) nobody reminded him of the possibility of food poisoning
3. The author's coat was not right because ____A___.
A) it was too long and heavy B) it was too old-fashioned
C) it was not warm enough D) it was made from material of poor quality
4. It is mentioned in the text, though not directly, that when you drive in America, it's safer to ___C____.
A) have clear driving directions B) keep the car windows closed
C) make right turns D) make left turns
5. After the author's father drops the author off at the train station, ___D____.
A) he drives back home at once B) he drives to Manhattan
C) he goes to a parking lot to fix his car D) he waits in his car to see his son off
1. The speaker __B___ for a moment, and then began to answer the question.
A. shook B. paused C. pressed D. tripped
2. She is so strange. She always tries to _C____ talking to me.
A. prefer B. protect C. avoid D. assure
3. Does _A____ want to buy this book? It's only $3.50, but it tells an interesting story. A. anyone B. anything C. someone D. something
4. It is unnecessary for those who study hard to consider the __D___ of failing the exam. A. danger B. warning C. surprise D. possibility
5. We often __A___ the happy time we spent at your home last summer.
A. recall B. remind C. present D. provide
6. I'm __B___ of his purpose in saying those words, but I don't want to argue with him. A. careless B. conscious C. content D. confident
7. While I was walking alone down the street, three men came up to me and asked me for __D___ to the beach. A. contacts B. contents C. materials D. directions
8. Jack is among the brightest of his __C___: he can speak several foreign languages and has won three national prizes.
A. honor B. ability C. generation D. edge 句型转换
There is not enough space………or for seating inside. =>There is no room for a drive-thru window, or for seating inside.
Improvement can still be made in our work. =>There is still room for improvement in our work.
1. There is not enough space for four people on the back seat of the car. =>There is no room for four people on the back seat of the car.
2. This restaurant can hold 50 people. =>There is room for 50 people in this restaurant.
3. This is an order: you have no right to argue. =>This is an order: there is no room for argument.
The building is still there, but boards cover the windows. In spite of this, people drive by to remember their McDonald's.
=>The building is still there, but boards cover the windows. Even so, people drive by to remember their McDonald's.
In spite of the fact that I didn't have lunch today, I'm not hungry. =>I didn't have lunch today, but even so I'm not hungry.
1. He raised the radio …anything at
all. =>He raised the radio close to his ear. Even so, he could not hear anything at all.
2. The team was defeated again yesterday. In spite of that, there is still hope to win in the final round. =>The team was defeated again yesterday. Even so, there is still hope to win in the final round.
3. The man had not received any formal education. In spite of that, he became a famous writer.
=>The man had not received any formal education, but even so, he became a famous writer.
She made everyone smile and feel good, whether they were customers or fellow-workers.
=>She made everyone smile and feel good, customers and fellow-workers alike. 1. Both friends and family……news of her failure. =>Friends and family alike were shocked by the news of her failure. 2. It may have similar negative influences on both mind and body. =>It may have negative influences on mind and body alike.
3. The new measure will be good …and the business=>The new measure will be good for the customers and the business alike.
Preparing the eggs and serving them just the way the customers wanted made me feel the best.
=>Nothing made me feel better than preparing the eggs and serving them just the way the customers wanted. 1. He is most interested in sports in our class. =>No one in our class is more interested in sports than him. 2. This book is the best one written in this field. =>No book in this field is better written than this one. 3. Guilin can produce the most memories of China's beauty. => No place can produce more memories of China's beauty than Guilin.
We are all supposed to keep a diary of how it feels to go without TV for a week.