中国人民大学2004年英语专业考研基础英语试题I．Vocabulary and Written Expressions. (10 Points)
Directions; Write in the blank the letter of the item which best completes each sentence.
1. Tough-talking ward councilor Tony Jones warned yesterday that the drive to clean up the Oxford Road area is being ＿＿by the criminal justice system itself.
2. It is a source of continuing frustration that sometimes, after huge amounts of resources have gone into securing successful ＿＿, career criminals often seem to be free after little more than a third or half of their sentences.
3. The police and others are doing their best to clamp down on crime and disorder the intrusion of burglary, the source of drug dealers ruining lives, the threat of intimidation, violence and petty ＿＿.
4. At a meeting attended by more than 600 lecturers and support staff last week, workers passed a vote of no＿＿in senior management.
5. At the height of her fame during the Second World War, she was one of the world\'s most influential women. But in later years, a gaunt relic of her former＿＿, she was a forlorn propagandist for her husband\'s ostracized and diminished regime.
6. That he was able to ＿＿his responsibilities with such competence and apparent ease was partly due to his experience in the Royal Navy.
7. The Galbraiths were a gregarious and ＿＿＿family, probably descended from the Ancient British royal house of Strathelyde.
8. In 1945 he worked for Hambro\'s Bank, touring the Middle East to report on ＿＿diamond trading.
9. Despite his professional ＿＿and his strength of character, he had a warm sensitivity for the feelings of others, partly stemming from his memories of hardship at Dartmouth.
10. Opposite the Italian journalists, Vladimir Putin, ________dressed and statesmanlike, answered
a question about one of the country\'s notorious billionaires.
II. Error Correction (20 Points)
Directions: In this passage there are altogether 10 mistakes. Try to detect the mistakes and write out your corrected answers in the numbered brackets.