1) on balance 5) illustrated 9) involved
2) resist 6) budget 10) economic
3) haul 7) lowering 11) blasting
4) wicked 8) boundary 12) j
1)cut back/ down 2) pick up 3) get by 4) get through
5)face up to 6) turn in 7) making up for 8) think up
1) pursued his mathematical studies and taught himself astronomy
2) often generate misleading thoughts
3) attach great importance to combining theory with practice in our work
4) be suspected of doing everything for money
5) before he gets through life
1) their indoor, a profit, to invest in
2) device, the improvement, on a global scale
3) stacked, temptation, never dined out
II Confusable Words
1. 1) house 2) Home 3) home, family 4) household
2. 1) doubt 2) suspect 3) doubted 4) suspected 5) suspect
III. Word Formation
1) rise 2) final 3) regular 4) cash 5) hows, whys
6) upped 7) yellowed 8) bottled 9) lower 10) search
1) get by 2) temptation 3) get through 4) improvements
5) aside from 6) suspect 7) supplement 8) profit
1) replaced 2) consider 3) quit 4) world 5) tough
6) fuels 7) provide 8) luxuries 9) balance 10) ideal
1. We have a problem with the computer system, but I think it’s fairly minor.
2. My father died when I was too young to live on my own. The people of my hometown took over (responsibility for) my upbringing at that point.
3. The toys have to meet strict/ tough safety requirements before they can be sold to children.
4. Radio and television have supplemented rather than replaced the newspaper as carriers of news and opinion.
5. When it comes to this magazine, it is/ carries a digest of articles from many newspapers and magazines around the world.
A decade ago, Nancy did what so many Americans dream about. She quit an executive position and opened/ set up a household device store in her neighborhood. People like Nancy made the decision primarily for the improvement in the quality of their lives.
But, to run a small business on a small scale is by no means an easy job. Without her steady income, Nancy had to cut back on her daily expense. Sometimes she did not even have the money to pay the premium for the various kinds of insurance she needed.
Fortunately, through her own hard work, she has now got through the most difficult time. She is determined to continue pursuing her vision of a better life.
1) decades 5) slender 9) on the side
2) historic 6) web 10) authorized
3) imposed 7) bade 11) terminal
4) religious 8) site 12) make the best of
1) went through 2) stood up for 3) laid down 4) take on
5) let (us) down 6) draw on
7) fall into 8) pass for
1) The Europeans are fully confident that the Americans will not be able to justify their measures to protect t