Unit One Discovering yourself
Keys to Exercises
4. b, c, c, d, c, a
5. productive, attendance, resistance, ambitious, acceptance, script, impressive
6. attendance, ambitious, productive, impressive, resistance, script, acceptance
7. mortgage, deck, surf, coastal, defy, lengthy
8. b, a, b, b, a, a, b, b
2. c, d, b
4. triple, cemetery, rear, biography, cram, budding, finite, elapse
5. elapsed, cemetery, rear, crammed, triple, budding, biography, finite
6. a, b, a, a, b, b, a, a
7. a, b, b, a, a, b, b, b, a
Language in use
1. I’ve double- and triple-checked it. (compound verb)
budding crypt-kickers (compound noun)
a rear-view mirror (compound adjective)
the once-a-year holiday to Florida or Spain (compound adjective)
back-burner stuff (compound adjective)
standing at the corner of the Co-op (compound noun)
a sepia-coloured relative that no one can put a name to (compound adjective)
2. a late-night party, a well-stocked library, a world-famous professor, some well-timed
advice, a rapidly-growing population, a free-market economy, a half-hour boat trip
3. It’s how we behave that determines what other people think of us.
It’s what our character is that usually determines what sort of job we are going to end up doing. It isn’t always what marks we get at university that determines what we do as a career.
It is often what we experienced in our childhood that determines how we react to life’s
It’s what our genetic clock is and what changes we make to it that determine when we die.
4. It wasn’t just that the shops were all closed for Thanksgiving, but there was no one in the
It wasn’t just that she spent all her time at college going to parties, but she took the time togain
a first class degree.
It wasn’t just that they weren’t listening to what he said, but it seemed as if they weren’t at all
It wasn’t just that I was upset, but I felt as if I was going to burst out crying.